October 18, 2007
- Steering Committee to keep small groups on task
- Instead of an uber-committee, break out into smaller work groups
- Bring back the webguides
- Start publishing standards
- Review the CMSes out there
Defining the problem
- Search - a constant problem; no matter the content or CMS, need a functional search
- Better search technology would return better results
- Search solution should be able to go outside of CMS; related, but not dependent
Goals for Web Group
- What is the mission statement of this group, the web content steering committee?
- Addressing top issues: search, consistency of sites, interoperability, branding (how we brand ourselves as a university, imposition of a style),
- Internal/External View
- Inventory Web Guides
What Other Universities Are Doing?
UNL.edu (Nebraska Model)
- Got buy-in from bottom first; then buy-in from top
- Created Style Guide
- Decided to support one CMS, that's it
- Create template - you can do whatever you want
- 15 point checklist before publishing - fail 1 point, page denied publishing
- 50 different departments to submit designs
- Centralized Web Team
University of Calgary
- Brought together Technical Folks with External Relations
- Created a set of templates for branding; key goal of simplifying publishing
- Created style guide, training & support
- How does this combine with the Collaboration Tools Task Force?
- How to set up timelines for our goals?
- Where are we in 5 years?
- Consistent, flexible brand?
- UW Supported CMS?
- Template - have a design contest involving students?
- Team could identify areas to 'templify' (Home page, administrative units, etc)
- UW Marketing is actively working on a new branding through an outside consultant
- Should be ready to go in the Spring/Summer
- UW Marketing to create website soon with presentations
- Review Nebraska Model
- Set up a mailing list
- Send out email to Tech Support?
- How do we identify all of the people we want to contact?
- Send out email to webguide list?
- 5 year goals
- What to present to the large group?