Accounts may only be created by Hyak sponsors or node owners. Sponsors are the deans of participating colleges or their representatives, and node owners are users who have funded the purchase of nodes in the Hyak system. This document is only intended to be used by those individuals. Hyak sponsors and node owners may also delegate others to manage accounts for them. If you'd like to do so, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with hyak in the subject indicating which UW NetIDs to which you'd like to delegate.
Hyak Access Prerequisites
- Every user of the Hyak system must have a UW NetID. If a person is not affiliated with the University of Washington and you would like them to have access to Hyak, a Sponsored UW NetID (http://www.washington.edu/itconnect/accounts/sponsored.html) must be requested and obtained for that user before proceeding any further.
- Every user must also have set up two-factor authentication. Instructions about how to set it up are in the Sample Message below. 1
1. When users leave the university two-factor eligibility is removed. Users must contact the service center to have it re-established.
- Proceed to the UW-IT Groups Service.
- Click the "Find my groups" link in the "Find groups" section.
- In the search results section, there should be a link beginning with "u_hyak_" with a description of "Hyak My Group Accounts." Click the "u_hyak_mygroup" link.
- It will bring up a description of your group. Click the "Membership" link.
- Type the UW NetID(s) into the "Add members" text field and click the "Do it" button. Newly added user(s) should now appear in the "Membership" section. An error window will appear if the user(s) cannot be added.
- Notify the users that they have been added using a sample message similar to the one below.
Your UW Net ID has been enabled for access to the Hyak system. You must
now subscribe to the service. After you subscribe, it may take up to an
hour for your account to be fully provisioned.
- Go to https://uwnetid.washington.edu/manage/
- Click the "Computing Services" link on the left
- Click the "Hyak Server" and "Lolo Server" check boxes in the "Inactive Services" section.
- Click the "Subscribe >" button at the bottom of the page.
- Read the notice and click the "Finish" button.
You can now use your personal device (phone, tablet) or a land line as your two-factor token
by filling out the form here: https://identity.uw.edu/2fa/
If you wish to use an older style single purpose token, visit the page below and click the
Security Token Request Form link. Fill out and submit the form: http://www.washington.edu/itconnect/service/authentication/
Check out the Hyak User Wiki for information about using the Hyak system (mox.hyak.uw.edu):
Sign up for the Hyak mailing list to stay up to date on system news: https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/hyak-users