Each Hyak allocation has a group associated with it prefixed with 'hyak-'. This group is created to associate a group of users with a particular set of nodes. This group can also be used for filesystem permissions and many groups find one group is sufficient for their needs. If you need additional file permissions groups, you can create a UW Groups Service group which can be associated with a UNIX file permissions group. You may want to first contact your local IT support staff since they may already maintain a group structure in the UW Groups Service which you may use. If you need assistance with creating a Groups Service group, please contact the UW-IT Service Center.
1. Goto the UW Groups Service web page.
2. Click the 'Create a group' link at the top of the page.
3. Choose whatever display name you would like.
4. Leave the u_<yournetid>_ stem in place and append on a short name for your group. If your department has a stem, that may be a better option than under the stem for your NetID. Check with your college or departmental computing staff for more details.
5. All the other fields are optional and can be populated later if needed.
6. Once you've created the group, send an e-mail to email@example.com with the subject “UNIX Group Request” and the below text.
"I would like a UNIX group created with the name ___ corresponding to my Groups Service group ___. "
As an example, if you’d like to use the standard UW-IT group “u_mynetid_mygroup”, then you might send a message saying:
I would like a UNIX group created with the name mygroup corresponding to my Groups Service group u_mynetid_mygroup.